This week, the story continues with the zero waste bra pattern I dug out of the zw archives for another whirl. My teen asked me to have another try making her a zero waste bra, so I’ve revisited the pattern.
I’ve been on hold with this project until now because the bra haberdashery I ordered only arrived yesterday (Monday) – I was hoping it would be here before the weekend.
I ordered a full suite: cups, rings & sliders, shoulder strap elastic, banks of hooks & eyes, and plush elastic for the lower edge. (That is, everything except the fabric which I already had.)
With bra haberdashery, so much depends on getting all of these in the same colour – if there’s no hook & eyes in red, for example, then that colour is off the menu. So I bought boring old (yet useful!) black and white, since I have black and white fabrics.
When everything arrived, I inserted the new cups into the yellow (pronounced: YELLOW!!!) bra I made last week and did another fitting. I made some small but significant changes to the shape and fit (significant in that after doing the changes I had to fit the pieces back into the zero waste layout). Much happier with it now; it’s a nicer shape.
There was still time yesterday to make a bra, so I quickly made the changes to the pattern and cut one out. It’s a fairly unorthodox shape.
I managed to finish it before dinnertime.
The bra is being test-worn as I’m typing this, because of course the real test of fit comes with actually wearing it. No complaints so far.
So next week I’ll be reporting back. I’m still chewing over the pattern grading (ie making multiple sizes).