Last week I shared my bra-making exploits which led to trying to make a zero waste bra pattern.
The prototype got worn this week. The fit was fine and the pattern works – Yay!
There were some problems to report though: I used an elastic that was too rough next to the skin and I made the underbust/midriff elastic too tight. I think I should have use the type of elastic called plush (or soft touch?).
These things can be fixed (if I spend another week waiting for an online elastic order to arrive) but instead we went on a road trip to the bra shop and bought some RTW. My daughter has been a very good sport with this project and I don’t feel like I can keep pushing it!
So I’m putting the zw bra project aside because I feel like I’ve gone as far with it as I need. It was a success in many ways and I learnt lots of nifty things about bra making from generous sewing friends.
Meanwhile, here’s the pattern, which may be useful to someone reading this. As it’s the prototype, it’s only in one size however, it has the potential to be made bigger. To be honest, it’s not a pattern I see myself developing beyond bras for personal use, mainly because I’m not keen on test-fitting lingerie, or photographing it.
Download the pattern here:
The pattern looks like this:
There’s a single page of instructions below. I’m no expert on bra making, so just take this as a guide; you might find a better way. If you’ve made bras before you’re waaay ahead of me!
I sewed mine using a stretch needle and mini zig zag stitch on my regular machine (sorry, the instructions show straight stitch – that’s just the illustration style). I didn’t put any elastic along the top edge because it didn’t seem to need it.
UPDATE: here are some ways you can adjust the fit of the bra: