THAT blue dress: Vogue 2787

THAT blue dress Vogue 2787 pattern envelope

Regular readers of this blog may remember the blue dress, Vogue 2787, I started making as a possible “author talk outfit”.  Read about when I started it here.

The fabric was 50 year old cotton and came from a collection given to me.

 

THAT blue dress Vogue 2787 pattern and fabric

 

I did finish the dress but I never wore it because it didn’t look right, due to the too-high neckline.  Rosey also suggested taking it in (see here and scroll down to read her comment).

 

THAT blue dress Vogue 2787 before alterations

 

Yes, yes, you’re probably thinking I should have made a toile/muslin to check the pattern first, but I measured the paper pattern and confidently decided to “fit as I go”, and besides….I like to live dangerously.

Last week I extensively unpicked the neckline and made it lower.  It would have been far easier if there was no piping!  I also took Rosey’s advice and took in the sides which helped make it less blousey around the armhole.  (Actually, since I started making this dress I’ve lost weight, either from pre-book launch stress or this sugar-free diet I’m on; I suspect the sugar-free diet.)

 

So, I made the changes and wore the dress to a wedding on the weekend, where I felt great wearing it and it was perfect for the weather.

 

THAT blue dress Vogue 2787 after alterations

 

Vogue 2787 pattern notes:

  • I cut the length a few inches shorter (didn’t have enough fabric anyway, but it looked better knee length).
  • Took the shaping out of the centre back waist so it was straighter, and used a 55cm invisible zip.  Didn’t do a side opening as per pattern.
  • Extended the back darts at least 2″ higher; dress appeared to be very blousey above the darts.
  • Put piping on the front curve and extended it around the neck.  Had to attach the neck facing by hand, because the piped seam is sewn in one operation using edgestitching.  After the dress was finished, I unpicked and lowered the neckline as much as I could, about 1″.
  • Changed the position of the front bust darts; interestingly, they need to be in different spots on each side due to the gathers and asymmetrical styling.  Didn’t ease one side of the dart into the other (just sewed a straight dart).  Didn’t curve the dart’s sides.  Didn’t trim away the back of the dart (it didn’t seem to need it), just pressed it down.
  • This pattern seems to be made for someone with a very large bust.  I would say the size 12 would fit a 40″ bust, 29″ waist and 38″ hips, whereas more usual proportions would be 36″-29″-38″.

 

Cheers!

 

 

 

 

2 Comments

  1. Jill on October 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm

    Well done Liz, you look gorgeous in your new blue dress!

    • lizhaywood on October 10, 2017 at 4:50 pm

      Thanks, Jill.

Leave a Comment