An Autumn Outfit

Japanese cardigan and featured skirt

As curling columns of smoke and the buzz of chainsaws announce the settling of autumn in our part of the world, I sat outside and sewed a skirt to go with last week’s Japanese cardigan.

It’s my own basic A-line skirt I’ve used several times before.  It has a waist facing, centre back invisible zip, lining, and patch pockets.

To make the pockets, I traced around various saucers, bowls and side plates to arrive at a pattern.  I pinned it to one of my previous A line skirts to check the size and position before finalizing the pattern and cutting out.

I find that a project stands a high chance of becoming a UFO (unfinished object) if I don’t have it clear in my head and organized before I begin.  In other words, I won’t begin a project if I can’t see how it will end.  Maybe it’s the same with you?

pocket from skirt

The pockets are bagged out with their lining to get a good circular shape easily. The linings are cut about 1/8″ smaller around the lower curved edge so they don’t show.


pockets with topstitching around tops

I used thick orange Gutermann topstitching thread to stitch around the hand opening.  The long threads will be  secured behind before I sew the pockets onto the skirt.


pockets stitched onto skirt

The pockets are stitched onto the skirt using the topstitching thread.  Again, the long threads from the start and finish will be secured behind.


finished pockets

The pockets are finished, and so is the skirt.  Should I have given the pockets the same grainline as the skirt?  Too late now!


The fabric was yet another op shop buy, but what it actually was was a bit of a mystery.  It’s a twill weave, dark khaki gabardine, almost uncreasable.  Some sort of wool/ nylon?  A burn test showed it had synthetic fibres in it.  The fabric was a piece that had been at the end of a roll but no clues there.

As I pressed my finished skirt, the fabric revealed itself to be quite brilliant.  My 4cm deep hem eased itself in nicely, to my surprise.  Seam allowances and facings remained imperceptible on the right side -no surface shine here!  The fabric didn’t absorb water easily -water sprayed on simply beaded on the surface like blobs of mercury running around.  (As I sprayed the fabric then pressed with a dry iron, the smell of wet school jumper rose to my nostrils -funny how smells bring back memories, isn’t it?)

This is like a high performing, hard-wearing, foolproof fabric used for uniforms.  Army uniform trousers?


finished skirt, front view

Finished skirt, front view.  It has a bit of a 1970’s vibe.


finished skirt, back view

Finished skirt, back view.


Very happy with this skirt.  Although I planned to wear this skirt with the orange Japanese cardigan, I don’t think I will.  The cardigan seems too casual, and I like it better with jeans.  The skirt I like better with blouses or blouse/vest combinations.


Before I finish, just wanted to let you know you can now “subscribe to blog” and get email notices when I do a new post.  I usually do one a week on Monday or Tuesday.  Many thanks for reading.





  1. Val F on April 19, 2016 at 9:53 pm

    I rather like the patch pockets. I might try them myself. Val

    • lizhaywood on April 20, 2016 at 4:39 pm

      Hi Val,
      I don’t wish to dissuade you, but when I wore the skirt on the weekend, my 4 year old girl told me the back pockets looked like bum cheeks! (I wore the skirt anyway)

  2. Barkat on March 30, 2021 at 1:10 pm

    Very nice pattern for pocket.

    • lizhaywood on March 30, 2021 at 4:09 pm

      Thank you 🙂

Leave a Comment